You’ve probably seen the commercials from Wix, Weebly or any number of the site builders claiming how “you can build your own website it just minutes”. You might even be thinking you can easily set up your website and hey…you’ll get to save a bunch of money on design fees too. As good as building your own site may sound the fact is it won’t help you grow your business, nor will it save you money. DIY sites won’t help you generate traffic, produce some leads nor generate profits, but a good professional design agency can do all those things.
If you’re still not convinced have a look at theses 5 reasons to build your own site:
- It is going to look amateurish. Web development is a skill that takes years to hone, learning good design principles and conversion techniques, a good website comes by design and not by accident. More and more people are looking for products and service online and you need to stand out. Do you understand how call to actions work, how about click through rates or copywriting? A pro understands how important they are and can make sure your site reaches its potential. Your business needs to look its absolute best and a professional design team can help you do that.
- Mistakes will cost you money. Despite what all the site builders claim building a website is neither simple nor easy. Web design teams don’t just look at what pretty colors go together, they also take into consideration copywriting, graphic design and all the technical aspects that go into making your site show up in the search engines. Every mistake you make is costing you money, while with time you might be able to pull it off it will take time…lots of time. How much is your time worth? Bear in mind not only are you spending time fixing your site, you’re also losing money from missed sales and leads.
- Do you have the time? Despite the claim that you can build a website in the same time it takes to order a pizza, that’s not quite the truth. If you can figure out how to use the site builders in less than an hour there is still the matter of social media profiles to create and maintenance to think about. Do you have the time to update blog posts, make sure the security is intact and continually update the content? If that sounds like more stress than you want to deal with then let a professional handle it for you.
- Search Engine Optimization. SEO and good design go hand in hand, while putting your site together a good design team understands what search engines like Google want to see. Do you understand things like schema, keywords and how they impact how you show up in the search results? Site builder sites are notoriously bad for SEO in fact Wix sites weren’t even showing up in Google search results at all at one point.
- It’s not built for your audience. Your site needs to appeal to your market and not you. Drag and drop sites allow you to add text, images and videos which may sound good, but you need to know exactly what your audience wants and then make sure your site gives it to them.
These are just a few of the reasons a DIY site isn’t your best choice, don’t waste your time and money putting together something that simply doesn’t work. Find a good design company that can understand your vision and help you bring it to life. If you want your site done right, please don’t do it yourself.
If you aren’t convinced yet watch this video on why you definitely shouldn’t use a site builder for ecommerce sites.